Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis most commonly affects children between preschool ages and the mid-teenage years.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is inflammation of the tonsils, 2 oval-shaped pads of tissue at the back of the throat—1 tonsil on each side.
- Tonsillitis most commonly affects children between preschool ages and the mid-teenage years.
- Symptoms may include red and swollen tonsils, white or yellow coating on the tonsils, sore throat, fever, enlarged and tender glands, bad breath, stomachache, neck pain or stiff neck, and headache.
- Risk factors include young age of 5 to 15 years, and frequent exposure to germs.
- Diagnosis may include throat swab and complete blood count test.
- Treatments may include antibiotics, such as penicillin for 10 days, and surgery, such as tonsillectomy.