Pharmacy Clinical Pearl of the Day: Pneumonia Vaccines
Vaccines help prevent pneumococcal disease, which is any type of illness caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
Clinical Pearl of the Day: Pneumonia vaccines
- Vaccines help prevent pneumococcal disease, which is any type of illness caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
- Types of pneumonia vaccines approved by the FDA:
- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine or PCV13.
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine or PPSV23.
- Pneumococcal 20-valent Conjugate Vaccine or Prevnar 20.
- CDC recommends PCV13:
- For all children younger than 2 years of age and people 2 years of age and older with certain conditions.
- CDC recommends PRSV23:
- For all adults 65 years of age or older, people 2 through 64 years of age with certain medical conditions.
- For all adults 19 through 64 years of age who smoke cigarettes.
- Prevnar 20 is recommended for adults 18 years of age and older.