Pharmacist Fatally Overdosed at Music Festival

A young pharmacist attending the Stereosonic music festival in Sydney, Australia, died after reportedly taking MDMA.

A young pharmacist attending the Stereosonic music festival in Sydney, Australia, died after reportedly taking MDMA.

Sylvia Choi, 25, took the drug as a mixture in a bottle of water, The West Australian reported. She then went into cardiac arrest and died at a hospital around 9 PM on November 28, 2015.

South West Assistant Commissioner Frank Mennilli told The West Australian that drugs circulating at festivals are often homemade, which can make them especially dangerous.

Phil Smith, CEO of Blooms the Chemist, where Choi worked, released a statement regarding her death.

“Blooms the Chemist is saddened by the news that one of our bright, well-respected, and highly-professional pharmacists, Ms. Sylvia Choi, lost her life at Sydney’s Stereosonic Music Festival at Sydney Olympic Park…” Smith’s statement read.

He said the community was in disbelief and struggling to cope with the loss.

“This tragedy illustrates the importance of not taking prohibited drugs,” Smith wrote. “There is no safe way to take prohibited drugs, and what has happened to Sylvia can happen to anyone taking prohibited substances.”

The festival’s organizers, Totem Onelove, also released a statement of sympathy on Facebook.

“Totem Onelove conveys our deepest condolences to the friends and family of the patron who tragically passed away on Saturday night at Sydney Stereosonic,” the statement read. “…We appeal to our audience that they stay safe and look out for each other.”

Another woman who attended the festival was placed in an induced coma the same night. In addition, 9 other festivalgoers were taken to the hospital and discharged.

Almost 70 other attendees were charged with possessing or supplying drugs, according to The West Australian.