Daily OTC Pearl: Zinc
Zinc can be used for colds, wound healing, diarrhea, and age-related macular degeneration.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Zinc
Indication: Zinc, a nutrient found throughout the body, helps the immune system and metabolism function.
- Zinc is also important to wound healing and sense of taste and smell.
- With a varied diet, the body usually gets enough zinc.
- Food sources of zinc include chicken, red meat, and fortified breakfast cereals.
- The recommended daily amount of zinc is 8 mg for women and 11 mg for adult men.
- Zinc can be used for zinc deficiency, colds, wound healing, diarrhea, and age-related macular degeneration.
- Oral zinc can cause indigestion, diarrhea, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
- Zinc may interact with some medications, including antibiotics, penicillamine, and thiazide diuretics.