Daily OTC Pearl: Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol)
Bismuth subsalicylate comes as a liquid, tablet, or chewable tablet to treat diarrhea and the symptoms of an upset stomach.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol)
Indication: Bismuth subsalicylate is used to treat diarrhea in adults and teenagers.
- Bismuth subsalicylate is also used to relieve the symptoms of an upset stomach, such as heartburn, indigestion, and nausea in adults and teenagers.
- This medicine should not be used in children younger than 12 years of age.
- In some patients, bismuth subsalicylate may cause dark tongue and/or grayish black stool. This is only temporary and will go away when use of the medication is stopped.
- Bismuth subsalicylate comes as a liquid, tablet, or chewable tablet to be taken by mouth, with or without food.
- Swallow the tablets whole and do not chew them.
- Shake the liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
- Drink plenty of water or other beverages to replace fluids that may be lost while having diarrhea.
- Shake before use.
- Use dose cup or tablespoon.
- For adults and children 12 years of age and older: 1 dose (30 ml or 2 TBSP) every half hour to 1 hour as needed.
- Do not exceed 8 doses (240 ml or 16 TBSP) in 24 hours.