Daily OTC Pearl: Azo (Phenazopyridine) for Urinary Tract Health
Azo treats urinary pain, burning, urgency, and frequency associated with urinary tract infections.
OTC/Lifestyle Pearl of the Day: Azo (Phenazopyridine)
Indication: Relief from urinary pain, burning, urgency, and frequency associated with urinary tract infections.
- Active ingredient in each tablet is phenazopyridine hydrochloride 97.5 mg.
- Dosing: Adults and children 12 years of age or older take 2 tablets 3 times daily, with or after meals, as needed for up to 2 days. Take with a full glass of water.
- Dosage forms: 95 mg, 97.2 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg.
- Directions to use: This medication should be taken by mouth, usually 3 times daily after meals or as directed by a physician.
- Adverse effects: Little or no urinating, swelling, confusion, fever, pale or yellowish skin, blue or purple appearance, headache, and dizziness.
- Do not use this medication while wearing soft contact lenses. Phenazopyridine can permanently discolor soft contact lenses.