Daily Medication Pearl: Aripiprazole (Abilify)
The efficacy of aripiprazole could be mediated through a combination of partial agonist activity at D2 and 5-HT1A receptors and antagonist activity at 5-HT2A receptors.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Aripiprazole (Abilify)
Indication: Abilify is an atypical antipsychotic. The oral formulations are indicated for schizophrenia, acute treatment of manic and mixed episodes associated with bipolar I, adjunctive treatment of major depressive disorder, irritability associated with autistic disorder, and treatment of Tourette’s disorder.
- Dosing: Based on the indication, may range from 2 mg to 30 mg.
- Dosage forms: Tablets 2 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg. Orally disintegrating tablets 10 mg and 15 mg. Oral solution 1 mg/mL. Injection 9.75 mg/1.3 mL single-dose vial.
- Adverse events: Akathisia, restlessness, insomnia, constipation, fatigue, and blurred vision.
- Mechanism of action: The mechanism of action of aripiprazole in schizophrenia or bipolar mania is unknown. However, the efficacy of aripiprazole could be mediated through a combination of partial agonist activity at D2 and 5-HT1A receptors and antagonist activity at 5-HT2A receptors.
- Manufacturer: Otsuka America Pharmaceuticals