Daily Medication Pearl: Albuterol Sulfate (ProAir HFA)
ProAir HFA Inhalation Aerosol is indicated for the treatment or prevention of bronchospasm in patients 4 years of age and older with reversible obstructive airway disease.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Albuterol Sulfate (ProAir HFA)
Indication: ProAir HFA Inhalation Aerosol is a beta2-adrenergic agonist indicated for the treatment or prevention of bronchospasm in patients 4 years of age and older with reversible obstructive airway disease.
- Dosing: Two inhalations every 4 to 6 hours. In some patients, 1 inhalation every 4 hours may be sufficient.
- Dosage forms: Inhalation aerosol—each actuation delivers 108 mcg of albuterol sulfate from the actuator mouthpiece.
- Adverse events: Most common adverse reactions (≥3.0% and >placebo) are headache, tachycardia, pain, dizziness, pharyngitis, and rhinitis.
- Mechanism of action: Albuterol sulfate is a beta2-adrenergic agonist. The pharmacologic effects of albuterol sulfate are attributable to activation of beta2-adrenergic receptors on airway smooth muscle.
- Manufacturer: IVAX Pharmaceuticals