Hy-Vee Employees Win Big at Industry Competitions
9 Hy-Vee employees were recently recognized for their excellence after winning industry competitions during the annual FMI Connect conference in Chicago.
PRESS RELEASE WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (July 7, 2015) — 9 Hy-Vee, Inc. employees were recently recognized for their excellence after winning industry competitions.
Hy-Vee employees in various positions were honored during the annual FMI Connect conference in Chicago, one of the industry’s largest trade shows, hosted by the Food Marketing Institute last month.
Brian Wilken, store director at the Charles City Hy-Vee in Iowa, was named a 2015 Store Manager Award winner for his work generating sales growth, providing great customer service, contributing to company goals and serving his community. Wilken’s nomination detailed his on-the-floor management style, his mentoring of employees and his ability to build great relationships within his community.
Julie McMillin, RD, LD, assistant vice president of retail dietetics for Hy-Vee, was named the 2015 Retail Dietitian of the Year by the Retail Dietitians Business Alliance during the FMI Connect conference. The award recognizes a professional who shows leadership in utilizing business skills and industry knowledge to positively impact consumer behavior change through the retail sector.
Three Hy-Vee chefs took home honors at the 2015 Supermarket Chef Showdown. Fifteen chefs across five categories competed in FMI’s showdown, now in its third year. The chefs cooked their dishes in front of a live audience at the FMI Connect conference. Entrants were judged on taste, presentation, creativity and consumer appeal.
Elizabeth Davis, chef at the Edgewood Road Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, won first place in the holiday platters category for her yu sheng citrus salad platter and was named the competition’s Grand Champion; Amy Gleason, chef at the Linden Market Hy-Vee in Omaha, Nebraska, won the breakfast category for her cinnamon-scented faro parfait; and Bryan Williams, chef at the Rock Bridge Hy-Vee in Columbia, Missouri, won the dessert category for his red curry and coconut bread pudding.
Dale Schoenefeld, produce manager at the Watertown Hy-Vee in South Dakota, became Hy-Vee’s 11th produce manager to be named a grand prize winner at the annual United Fresh Produce Show, held in conjunction with FMI Connect. Schoenefeld was recognized for his excellent customer education and sampling programs, successful Facebook promotions and eye-catching special displays.
Schoenefeld, one of five grand prize winners named, was selected from a field of 25 Produce Managers of the Year representing supermarkets and retail stores across the United States. Nominations were judged in categories, including efforts to increase produce consumption through excellence in merchandising; special displays and promotions; community service; and commitment to customer satisfaction.
In addition to the honors at FMI Connect, Brittany Love, a barista and manager at the Starbucks kiosk in the Applewood Hy-Vee in Omaha, Nebraska, was named a 2015 Starbucks Barista Champion. Competitors were judged in three categories: barista craft; signature beverage; and personal coffee tasting/sharing coffee knowledge.
Two Hy-Vee employees were awarded Börgen Cup honors at the annual International Floriculture Expo, which recognizes the best floral merchandising displays and encourages supermarket florists to strive for excellence in creativity and quality.
Cheryl Overland, floral manager at the Albert Lea Hy-Vee in Minnesota, received the Börgen Cup Merchandising Award of Excellence. Beth Hennessy, floral manager at the Oakland Road Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, received the Börgen Cup for best signage.
Each year, the Börgen Cup honors supermarkets and mass merchants in the United States and Canada for the creativity and quality of merchandising in their floral departments in four categories: color harmony, cross-merchandising, signage and theme development. A panel from Super Floral Retailing judged the more than 100 entries this year. Hy-Vee has had 20 Börgen Cup winners since 2005.
Full list of Hy-Vee’s honorees:
- FMI Store Manager of the Year Brian Wilken, store director of the Charles City Hy-Vee in Charles City, Iowa
- Retail Dietitians Business Alliance Retail Dietitian of the Year Julie McMillin, assistant vice president of retail dietetics for Hy-Vee
- FMI Supermarket Chef Showdown Grand Champion and Holiday Platters Category Winner Elizabeth Davis, chef at the Edgewood Road Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- FMI Supermarket Chef Showdown Breakfast Category Winner Amy Gleason, chef at the Linden Market Hy-Vee in Omaha, Nebraska
- FMI Supermarket Chef Showdown Dessert Category Winner Bryan Williams, chef at the Rock Bridge Hy-Vee in Columbia, Missouri
- United Fresh Produce Manager of the Year Grand Prize Winner Dale Schoenefeld, produce manager at the Watertown Hy-Vee in Watertown, South Dakota
- Starbucks Barista Champion Brittany Love, barista and Starbucks kiosk manager at the Applewood Hy-Vee in Omaha, Nebraska
- Börgen Cup Merchandising Award of Excellence Cheryl Overland, floral manager at the Albert Lea Hy-Vee in Albert Lea, Minnesota
- Börgen Cup Award for Best Signage Beth Hennessy, floral manager at the Oakland Road Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids, Iowa