FDA Clearance of New Spectrum IQ Infusion System
Designed with exclusive new features for bidirectional electronic medical records integration.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cleared Baxter's Spectrum IQInfusion System with Dose IQ Safety Software, according to a press release from the company. The Spectrum IQ system is designed specifically for bidirectional electronic medical records (EMR) integration with features to help ensure the correct medications and fluids are delivered to the patient. The Spectrum IQ system also builds upon proven Spectrum infusion pump technology.
The system provides a range of auto-programming workflows and feature sets as well as embedded on-screen barcode technology that helps eliminate the need for a sticker barcode and provides clinicians with scan prompts to help maintain or increase auto-programming compliance and automatically document infusion data into the EMR. In addition, the Spectrum IQ pump is the only infusion pump to feature Line Check Notification technology* that supports line management by providing a visual notification matching the infusion pump and the medication being infused.
For the Spectrum IQ Infusion System, Baxter has partnered with First Databank (FDB) to integrate FDB Infusion Knowledge™—an evidence-based library of IV medications—into Dose IQ Safety Software to help make delivery of infusions safer. FDB, a leading provider of drug and medical device knowledge, supports healthcare professionals in making informed decisions at the point of care, intended to improve the quality of patient care.
The Spectrum IQ pump also includes leading features designed to help drive the highest levels of drug library compliance in the industry, such as automatically defaulting to the installed drug library without requiring clinicians to take extra steps to utilize the safety features and wireless drug library updates without interrupting clinical workflow. Baxter’s Spectrumsystems—including the Spectrum IQ system—are the only infusion pumps with a built-in Dose/Rate Change Error Prevention Feature, which helps clinicians protect high-risk infusions during titrations, and helps allow pharmacists to customize dose change limits for individual drugs.
Other key features designed to facilitate increased hospital efficiency include:
- Built-in DeviceVue Asset Tracking Application, which displays pump status and location data on a PC, tablet or smartphone without the need to interface with third-party real-time location systems**
- Spectrum IQ Infusion Dashboard with Charge Capture, which automates the capture of start, stop and duration times, helping to optimize outpatient IV billing
- Alarm and alert routing designed to help reduce “alert fatigue” among nursing staff by sending alarm start and stop messages directly from the pump bedside to secondary Alarms Management Systems, including smartphones or work stations
- Enhanced data analytics and near real-time infusion data accessible from a single, centralized screen
- Single set technology that can help yield savings in IV tubing sets and up to 30% reduction in IV tubing usage