Medication Pearl of the Day: Ropeginterferon alfa-2b-njft (Besermi)
Indication: Besermi is an interferon alfa-2b indicated for the treatment of adults with polycythemia vera (PV).
- Dosing: Recommended starting dose 100 mcg by subcutaneous injection every 2 weeks (50 mcg if receiving hydroxyurea).
- Dosage form: Injection 500 mcg/mL solution in a single-dose prefilled syringe.
- Adverse events (AEs): The most common adverse reactions reported in > 40% of patients were influenza-like illness, arthralgia, fatigue, pruritus, nasopharyngitis, and musculoskeletal pain
- Mechanism of action: Interferon alfa belongs to the class of type I interferons, which exhibit their cellular effects in polycythemia vera in the bone marrow by binding to a transmembrane receptor termed interferon alfa receptor.
- Manufacturer: PharmaEssentia