Daily Medication Pearl: Besifloxacin (Besivance)
Besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension (Besivance) is indicated for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis.
Medication Pearl of the Day: Besivance (besifloxacin)
Indication: Besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension (Besivance) 0.6% is a quinolone antimicrobial indicated for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis.
- Dosing: Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) 3 times a day, 4 to 12 hours apart for 7 days.
- Dosage forms:Ophthalmic suspension besifloxacin 6 mg/mL.
- Adverse events: The most common adverse reaction reported in 2% of patients treated with Besivance was conjunctival redness.
- Mechanism of action: Besifloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibacterial agent.
- Manufacturer: Bausch & Lomb Incorporated.