CVS Health Recognizes its 30,000 Pharmacists during American Pharmacists Month
In recognition of October's American Pharmacists Month, CVS Health is celebrating the important role its nearly 30,000 pharmacists play in helping patients on their path to better health.
Oct. 3, 2016
/PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of October's American Pharmacists Month, CVS Health (NYSE:CVS) is celebrating the important role its nearly 30,000 pharmacists play in helping people on their path to better health. The company's pharmacists are helping to change the way health care is delivered by increasing access, lowering costs and improving care quality in the company's retail, mail service and specialty pharmacies across the country.
"Whether providing face-to-face consultations at the pharmacy counter or helping patients with complex conditions manage their specialty medications by phone, our pharmacists are truly the front line of health care," said
, President and CEO, CVS Health. "Our pharmacists are not only trusted resources for patients, but are also key players in the evolution of CVS Health, delivering innovative products and services and enabling our patients and clients to manage health in more effective and affordable ways."
Beyond simply filling prescriptions, CVS Health pharmacists are helping the company's patients manage their health care through a number of programs and services.
- As medication experts within the broader health care team, CVS Health pharmacists are helping identify potential barriers to medication adherence and offering solutions to help encourage patients to stay adherent. Pharmacists also educate patients about potential side effects and drug interactions and help identify potential gaps in care for those with complex medical conditions.
- CVS Pharmacy and CVS Specialty pharmacists are working together to provide patients choice and flexibility in how they access their specialty medications and receive expert clinical support through the Specialty Connect program. The partnership gives patients the option to bring their specialty prescriptions to any CVS Pharmacy, while still receiving insurance guidance and dedicated clinical support by phone from a team of specialty pharmacy experts at CVS Specialty.
- Pharmacists are providing convenient and accessible access to flu shots and other vaccinations at every CVS Pharmacy location nationwide seven days a week with no appointment needed, including evenings and weekends.
- CVS pharmacists are helping patients understand their prescription insurance coverage options under Medicare Part D and the Affordable Care Act during open enrollment, which begins on October 15 and November 1, respectively.
- CVS pharmacists are working to reduce prescription drug abuse through the company's Pharmacists Teach program. This community outreach program connects pharmacists with high school health classes to share vital information about the dangers of improper drug use. CVS pharmacists have already delivered this program to more than 100,000 students across the country.
In 2016, CVS Health welcomed nearly 6,000 pharmacists from Target to the company. Noted Merlo, "These new colleagues bring a wealth of health care knowledge and expertise to our team and are spearheading our efforts to introduce Target guests to our suite of pharmacy care services and innovative digital pharmacy tools."
In addition, CVS Health will celebrate National Pharmacy Technician Day on
to recognize the company's more than 50,000 pharmacy technicians for the valued support they provide to CVS pharmacists and pharmacy teams across the organization.