CVS Health Charity Classic Reaches $20 Million Milestone for Southeastern New England Charities
The CVS Health Charity Classic has reached an important milestone a total of $20 million dollars in philanthropic support to hundreds of nonprofits in Southeastern New England since the event series' inception in 1999.
WOONSOCKET, R.I., Dec. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- At a celebration today at the corporate headquarters of CVS Health, President and CEO Larry Merlo announced that the CVS Health Charity Classic has reached an important milestone a total of $20 million dollars in philanthropic support to hundreds of nonprofits in Southeastern New England since the event series' inception in 1999. This year, the CVS Health Charity Classic donated more than $1 million dollars to nearly 100 area charities.
"The CVS Health Charity Classic has an 18-year history of supporting the meaningful work being done by nonprofits in Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island," Merlo said. "We are proud to reach this major milestone in donations made that enables us to give back to those who need it most in the areas of health care, education and social services."
Merlo along with tournament chairperson Eileen Howard Boone and PGA Tour professionals and CVS Health Charity Classic co-chairs Billy Andrade and Brad Faxon unveiled this year's donation to the nonprofit recipients and working charities that volunteered their time during the tournament in front of CVS Health colleagues and CVS Health Charity Classic sponsors.
Tim Wakefield, former Boston Red Sox pitcher, was on-hand to discuss how the tournament has supported the Boston Red Sox Foundation over the years.
"Support from the CVS Health Charity Classic has been instrumental in allowing us to fulfill our mission of serving the health, education, recreation and social service needs of children and families across New England," Wakefield said. "We are grateful for our partnership and look forward to continuing to work together in the future."
In addition to the Boston Red Sox Foundation, 90 nonprofits from Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts will also benefit from the CVS Health Charity Classic, including:
- After Prom Barrington, Barrington High School Parents' Association
- Alzheimer's Foundation of America
- American Diabetes Association of New England
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association of the Northeast
- American National Red Cross
- Amos House
- Arthritis Foundation, New England Region, Inc.
- Autism Project
- Barrington Arts Alive!
- Barrington Community School
- Barrington Education Foundation
- Barrington Public Library
- Bayside YMCA
- Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy
- BOKS, Build Our Kids Success
- Boys & Girls Club of Pawtucket
- Boys & Girls Club of Taunton
- Boys & Girls Club of Woonsocket
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence
- Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island
- Children's Friend
- Children's Wish Group of Rhode Island
- Citizens Scholarship Foundation of Barrington
- City Year Providence
- College Visions
- Community Preparatory School
- Confetti Foundation
- Crossroads Rhode Island
- Day One
- Economic Progress Institute
- Emma Pendleton Bradley Hospital
- Farm Fresh Rhode Island (Rhode Island Healthy Schools Coalition)
- Friends of Barrington Senior Center, Inc
- Gaits of Harmony
- Girl Scouts of Southeastern New England
- Girls on the Run
- Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation
- Golf Fights Cancer
- Golf Foundation of RI Button Hole
- Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Highlander Charter School
- Hockomock Area YMCA
- Hole in the Wall Gang Camp
- Home & Hospice Care of Rhode Island
- Inspiring Minds
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation of RI
- Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island
- Learning Center for the Deaf Inc
- March of Dimes
- Meeting Street
- Morgan Pressel Foundation
- Museum of Work and Culture
- Narragansett Council, Boys Scouts of America
- Ocean Conservancy
- Old Colony Habitat for Humanity
- Our Sisters' School
- PeaceLove Foundation
- Plan RI
- Project Undercover, Inc.
- Providence After School Alliance (PASA)
- Providence Children's Museum
- Resilient Kids
- Rhode Island Community Food Bank
- Rhode Island Hospital Foundation/Richard Browning Center Research Fund
- Rhode Island Parent Information Network
- Rhode Island Public Radio
- Rhode Islanders Sponsoring Education
- Ronald McDonald House of Providence
- Salute Military Golf Association
- Salvation Army
- San Miguel Education Center
- Save the Bay
- Serve Rhode Island
- Sojourner House
- Special Olympics Rhode Island
- Spurwink | RI
- Stadium Theatre Foundation
- Tap In
- The Learning Community Charter School
- The Providence Center
- Tides Family Services
- URI Foundation - Golf Team
- Wolf School
- Women's Center of Rhode Island
- Woonsocket Rotary Charities Foundation Inc.
- Woonsocket Schools
- Year Up
- Youth Pride Inc.
"Over the past 18 years, Brad and I have witnessed firsthand how much of an impact the CVS Health Charity Classic has made on hundreds of nonprofits in this region," said Andrade. "We are incredibly thankful for the role the tournament's success has played in improving the lives of those in our hometown community."
The 2017 CVS Health Charity Classic, which attracts world-class golfers each year and is the largest charitable sporting event in Rhode Island, will kick off on June 18, 2017 at Rhode Island Country Club in Barrington, R.I.