Martin A. Erickson III, RPh
A physician wrote instructions for ?Glycolic acid
facial lotion with Veegum.? Any suggestions?
|Click Here For The Answer ----------->
Glycolic Acid Facial Lotion
Calculated to Make 100 mL
|Glycolic acid 70% solution||1.500 mL|
|Magnesium aluminum silicate (Veegum)|| |
|5% colloidal dispersion||5.000 mL|
|Ammonium hydroxide 28% solution qs to adjust pH|
|Purified water USP qs ad||100.000 mL|
- Prepare the magnesium aluminum silicate 5% colloidal
suspension by dispersing 5 g of magnesium aluminum silicate
in a small amount of water and stirring vigorously to obtain a
smooth paste, then bringing to volume with purified water
with stirring. When the dispersion is homogeneous, allow it to
stand: it will form a smooth, creamy, thixotropic mixture.
- Dissolve the methylparaben and propylparaben in 94 mL
of purified water. If necessary, heat to 70? to 75? C to facilitate
- Allow mixture in (2) to cool.
- Add the glycolic acid to the mixture in (3). Add ammonium
hydroxide 28% solution dropwise with stirring to obtain
pH 4 to 4.5.
- Add the magnesium aluminum silicate 5% colloidal dispersion
to (4) with stirring to homogeneity.
- Rinse the graduated cylinder used to measure the magnesium
aluminum silicate colloidal dispersion with aliquots of
the mixture in (5) into the bulk of the preparation.
- Bring the volume of mixture in (6) to volume with purified
water, and stir to homogeneity.
Notes: No claims are made as to the uses, safety, efficacy,
or bioavailability of this product. The formula is for informational