PHARMACISTS RESPOND TO MORNING-AFTER PILL LAWS

Published Online: Sunday, January 1, 2006

A survey of 859 pharmacists, conducted by HCD Research, found that 39% of the respondents were against state laws that would compel them to fill prescriptions for the morning-after pill. The remaining 61% said that overall they supported laws requiring pharmacists to fill prescriptions. The majority, however, favored having the choice of referring patients to a different pharmacist if they had issues with the prescription.

The results of the survey were released within days of 4 Walgreen Co pharmacists being put on unpaid leave for refusing to fill prescriptions for the morning-after pill. Walgreens' policy allows pharmacists to refuse to prescribe medications based on their moral beliefs, except where state law prohibits, provided that they take steps to have the prescription filled elsewhere. When asked about the Walgreen case, 63% of the respondents thought that the pharmacists should not have been put on unpaid leave for their refusal to fill the prescription. Yet, 29% supported the company's action.



Latest Articles
This weekly video program provides our readers with an in-depth review of the latest news, product approvals, FDA rulings and more.
Chronic kidney disease incidence has grown faster than many of its common comorbidities such as diabetes and hypertension, and medications may be an underappreciated driver of this growth.
President Barack Obama’s fiscal year 2017 budget proposal calls for an additional $1.1 billion to combat the nation’s spiraling opioid epidemic.
Baxter International is voluntarily recalling intravenous solution due to leaking containers and the potential for particulate matter.
Latest Issues
$auto_registration$
VSEO N/A