Dr. Holmberg is the pharmacy coordinator at Desert Vista Behavioral Health Center in Mesa, Arizona.
The Omron 1500PRO Ultra Premium
Blood Pressure Monitor
offers an easy and accurate way
for patients to monitor their blood pressure
(BP) at home. Hypertension is
frequently called the "silent killer" as
it often presents without symptoms.
When uncontrolled, hypertension may
lead to organ and blood vessel damage,
especially in the kidneys and heart. One
in 3 American adults is estimated to
The Seventh Report of the Joint
National Committee on Prevention,
Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment
of High Blood Pressure defines hypertension
as BP of ≥140/90 mm Hg
(130/80 mm Hg for patients with diabetes).
Treatment with antihypertensive
medications has been associated with
a decrease in the incidence of complications
from hypertension, such as
stroke, myocardial infarction, and heart
failure. Prehypertension is defined as
systolic BP between 120 and 139 mm
Hg or diastolic BP between 80 and 89
mm Hg. Patients who are identified as
having prehypertension require lifestyle
modifications to prevent cardiovascular
Time of day may influence BP control
goals and the potential for hypertension-related
morbidity. Patients experiencing
morning hypertension—a weekly average
BP reading of over 135/85 mm Hg
within 1 to 2 hours of waking up in the
morning—may be at an increased risk
for stroke, organ damage, and other
cardiovascular events. Identifying morning
hypertension may be challenging, as
often the rise in BP may have subsided
by the time the patient presents to their
medical provider. Home monitoring can
help to track early-morning trends, thus
recognizing morning hypertension and
optimizing its treatment.3
The Omron 1500PRO Ultra Premium Blood Pressure Monitor
The Omron 1500PRO Ultra Premium
Blood Pressure Monitor is promoted for
its ease of use. It has a no-wrap automatic
cuff that fits both regular and large
arms that range from 9 to 17 inches in
circumference. The no-wrap cuff offers
quick and easy arm placement for the
patient, and the monitor uses one-touch
operation with a large digital display.
In addition to its straightforward
design, the Omron 1500PRO offers additional
technology to help patients
monitor their cardiovascular health. The
monitor uses Intellisense technology to
maintain the proper amount of tension
to ensure fast, accurate, and comfortable
readings. The monitor can average
up to 3 readings that are taken within
10 minutes of each other. In addition to
routine BP monitoring, the 1500PRO can
detect morning hypertension and irregularities
in the heartbeat. The monitor
can store memory settings for 2 users,
up to a total of 200 measurements.
The Omron 1500PRO includes an AC
adapter, CD-ROM, USB cable, instruction
manual, quick guide, software
installation guide, and warranty card.
The product carries a 5-year warranty.4
Home BP Monitoring: Technique Is Important
In order to obtain an accurate home BP
reading, it is important that the patient
follows proper technique. The American
Heart Association recommends the following:
- Choose a cuff that fits properly
around the upper arm.
- Avoid nicotine, caffeine, or exercise
for 30 minutes prior to the BP reading.
- Sit with a straight and supported
back and keep both feet flat on the
- Place the middle of the cuff directly
over the brachial artery; the arm
should be at the same level as the
heart and rested on a flat surface,
such as a table or countertop.
- Take 2 or 3 consecutive readings,
each a minute apart, and record
Obtain readings at consistent times
throughout the day as directed by a
health care professional. For example,
some professionals may wish to see
morning and evening readings to assess
BP control throughout the day.5
- What is high blood pressure? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Web site. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hbp/HBP_WhatIs.html. Accessed August 2008.
- JNC 7 Express The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Web site. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/express.pdf. Accessed August 2008.
- What is morning hypertension and how do I know I have it? Omron Web site. www.omronhealthcare.com/article/detail.asp?c=238. Accessed August 2008.
- Omron 1500PRO Ultra Premium Blood Pressure Monitor Product Information.
- Home monitoring of high blood pressure. American Heart Association Web site. www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=576. Accessed August 2008.