Steps to Help Insomnia in Seniors
Published Online: Thursday, September 1, 2005 [ ]
Researchers have presented a 5-pronged approach to diagnose and manage
insomnia in the elderly. If followed, the data show that physicians could help lower
sleep disturbances in the senior population. The steps, outlined in the Journal of
Behavioral Sleep Medicine's insomnia supplement (July 2005), include the following:
- Detection by questioning of the patient
- Elaboration of the problem
- Determination of medical or psychiatric emergency
- Further assessment of chronic insomnia, if present
- Intervention, which can include pharmacologic therapy
Your comments are valuable to us. Thank you.
Sorry, you must be logged in and registered to post a comment.
To login, click To register, click here.